this is a personal site now
i'm steven. here's my twitter. i'm from the seattle area and currently live here.
this domain used to house a grant program i tried to start in march 2022. it was really the inflection point for me, at a point where i was given way more than i "deserved." it was my "genesis" moment.... ahaha... anyways, i'd like to pay it forward however i can. if you want to do cool things but are completely lost or unproven, hmu: email me at firstname@website
some things i want to do (non-exhaustive, of course, but these are all things i'm confident i want to do, if fate allows):
- create the cultural change necessary to make "doing what you love" mainstream among young people bc i care a lot abt it emotionally. and along the way build the institutions servicing this new culture so my kids in 2050 will come of age in the most liberating environment possible. and somehow extend this cultural reach outside the US / more people, since i recognize most of my initial efforts will be US-focused.
- pursue many more epic quests like the one above; not sure what they'll be, so i plan to do lots of travel / reading / learning / exploration throughout my life...
- ...but also keep myself mostly ignorant of the details of my next thing until then so that I can livestream my entire start to finish learning, exploration, manic validation, and execution phases to create an insane cultural relic. and also be hyper-accessible / "open-sourced" by livestreaming myself play video games, talk to internet strangers, give lectures, watch seahawks games, and a lot more.
- make a billboard hit song w/ my perfectly-preferred ai synth singer (ask me abt my music preference self-experiment lol) bc i like music and this is how i plan to motivate myself to learn and stick to it (my eternal caveat, of course, is without compromising on my creative expression / freedom). i've said that if i were to pick any "craft" to commit to out of pure enjoyment, it'd probably be music and there doesn't seem to be a close second.
- give an unusual amount of love and attention to my future kids in my 30s and 40s bc i had that luxury as a kid/teen and loved it
- do my version of that billionaire pledge to put most (not sure how much yet) of my personal capital towards sponsoring chaotic individuals in their infancy (people going on epic quests, upstart artists and studios, non-trad/esports athletes and teams, etc.). basically EV on steroids / medici family sponsoring artists.
- hobby-max: i'd like to be more intentional abt how i use my free time. for example, instead of draining hours down the youtube rabbit hole all the time, i want to do "productive" hobbies like gitting gud at jazz/classical sax for gigs/concerts, standup for shows, or yugioh for tournaments. one thing i notice is that having hobbies is expensive lol; it's been a recurring bottleneck in the past. a couple things related to this would be to 1) set up a neistat-esque studio where all my favorite things are out in the open and more accessible to me than my phone for down-time youtube and 2) set up some sort of "hobby fund" where young ppl can apply to get micro-grants to start or progress hobbies they can't afford
- prob more lol
on all the above, i'm operating w/ the understanding that if you've shown the world you're really really really good at one thing, it's much much much easier to get people to take you seriously for other things you wanna do